Topic: Please help me with the following question
Replies: 78   Last Post: Mar 25, 2013 1:38 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Please help me with the following question

On Mar 11, 2013, at 5:26 PM, Joe Niederberger <niederberger@comcast.net> wrote:

> R Hansen says:
>> No, I meant period. You cannot take 4 coins, even if you know that the counterfeit coin is heavy and find it in one weighing.
> &&
>>> You cannot end up with a group of 4 coins in step 3
>
> Now I have no idea what you are claiming. Look at, say, the Frank Cole solution again:
>
> http://www.iwriteiam.nl/Ha12coins.html

Frank couldn't do it either. If I gave Frank 4 coins (or more) and told him that the counterfeit coin is heaver (or lighter) he would not be able to determine the coin in one weighing.:) Obviously, I am talking about the group strategy I posted earlier.

But Frank's strategy operates the same way. After 2 weighings, Frank's method eliminates 9 coins (their score/value is unreachable).

Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
2/24/13
Read Please help me with the following question
hydraflap
2/24/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Richard Strausz
2/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
James Elander
2/27/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Wayne Bishop
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/1/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/5/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
johnykeets
3/7/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/7/13
[...]
3/8/13
[...]
3/9/13
[...]
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/9/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/10/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/11/13
[...]
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/12/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/13/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Robert Hansen
3/14/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
Joe Niederberger
3/15/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
GS Chandy
3/25/13
Read Re: Please help me with the following question
VALERY