Topic: Importing .xlsx files in parallels
Replies: 8   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 10:46 PM

Marc

Re: Importing .xlsx files in parallels

"Ryan" wrote in message <khdf9n$5pf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> I hate Macs so much!! What exactly is the problem? You need to convert a bunch of XLSX files to XLS files b/c you don't have Matlab 2012a? I can crate an Excel Macro for you to go into all XLSX files in a specific folder, and convert all files to XLS files. Will that do it for you?
>
> Regards,
> Ryan--
>
> Gadi Reinhorn <greinhorn@mathworks.com> wrote in message <5130E273.8090508@mathworks.com>...

> > The functionality you need was added in R2012a:
> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/releases/R2012a/techdoc/rn/bs7oakc-1.html#btau8hq
> >
> > xlsread Reads XLSX Files on All Platforms
> >
> > The xlsread function now reads data from XLSX files on all platforms,
> > including support for specifying the range and worksheet number.
> > Previously, this functionality was available only on Microsoft Windows
> > systems with Excel® software.

Is this really the op's problem... Plus your hatred for Macs seems misplaced.

From the op's post it looks like he is running Parallels for Matlab BUT has Office for Mac.

If he had a Windows version of Office, I am not sure he would have any problems. Since his Matlab version is looking for Excel under Windows, it probably does not see Excel in Mac.

As for Mac vs Windows, this is really not the forum. I was under the impression that most of the Matlab/excel issues in Mac were from Microsoft's side. 2008 Office for Mac had no support for VBA and finally they brought it back. Not sure the Mathworks is to blame for Microsoft being lazy with their applications on Mac OS.

Anyway, Matlab 2012b works well (not perfect) with Office 2011 for Mac from my early tests. Not running parallels. Matlab and Office both being Mac OS versions.