Topic: Cardinality of turning wheel
Replies: 43   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 1:55 AM

Frederick Williams

Re: Cardinality of turning wheel

Don Kuenz wrote:

> K_h <KHolmes@sx729.com> wrote:

> > "Frederick Williams" wrote in message

> >> It is sets that have a cardinality. What set is sin(x)?

> > Don put forward a bad argument. The sine function is the set of all points
> > (x, sin(x)) where x is any real number. So the cardinality of sin(x) is
> > just c, the cardinality of the real line because there are two values in (x,
> > sin(x)) and 2*c=c in cardinal arithmetic.

> Agreed, sin(x) is a bad argument for the OP's revolving wheel question.
> The physics forum seems to argue that the cardinality of the range
> created by feeding the set of rational numbers into sin(x) is c^2.

What physics forum? The cardinality of the range of a function cannot
exceed that of its domain. Here I take "function" to mean "single
valued function" as is, I think, usual when real functions are
discussed. Writing Q for the set of rational numbers and R for the set
of real numbers, the function

f: Q -> R

defined by

f(x) = sin(x)

is single valued and has a range of cardinality aleph_0.

Here, range(f) = {y : y = f(x) for some x} and is not to be confused
with graph or codomain.

Date Subject Author
3/2/13
Read Cardinality of turning wheel