Topic: Cardinality of turning wheel
Replies: 43   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 1:55 AM

Frederick Williams

Re: Cardinality of turning wheel

Ha ha, I wrote:
> The cardinality of the range of a function cannot
> exceed that of its domain. Here I take "function" to mean "single
> valued function" as is, I think, usual when real functions are
> discussed.

If the functions _are_ real then of course single-valuedness is
irrelevant. The first sentence there considers other functions (f, say)
in which the cardinality of the codomain exceeds that of the domain.
Say card domain = aleph_0 and card codomain = c, then if f takes on c
values at each point in its domain, then ran f = c. So it seems I
switched horses mid-stream (or whatever the saying is).

> > Here, range(f) = {y : y = f(x) for some x} and is not to be confused
> > with graph or codomain.

> This is new territory for me. :)

Date Subject Author
3/2/13