Topic: Solving non linear equations
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 5, 2013 4:16 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Solving non linear equations

Please use lower-case letters, such as 'a', instead of upper-case
letters for names you devise. (To avoid clashes with built-in
Mathematica names, all of which begin with '$' or else an upper-case
letter.) Thus you should use for your equation:

x + 1/(1 + r^x) + a == 0

Are r and a supposed to be real, or would complex values be OK? What
range of values do you want for r or for a?

What makes you think there is a solution? Have you tried plotting. Look,
e.g., at:

Manipulate[Plot[x+1/(1+r^x)+a,{x,-10,10},AxesOrigin->{0,0}],{{r,0},-10,10},{{a,0},-10,10}]

On Mar 3, 2013, at 10:58 PM, Norman Polozka <normanmath@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to solve such equation by using mathematica,
>
> Solve[x+1/(1+r^x)+A==0,x]
>
> But it says it can't solve. Any idea of solving such equations?

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305