Topic: updating a simulation within Manipulate.
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 8, 2013 4:46 PM

waku

Re: updating a simulation within Manipulate.

Hi Craig,

Looks like you want to dynamically show the progress of a random walk.
Rather than directly modify your solution, I'd suggest to have a look at
an alternative using scheduled tasks and buttons.

An example of random walk code:

step[bias_] :=
Through[{Cos, Sin}[RandomVariate[NormalDistribution[bias, 1]]]]
next[state_, bias_] :=
state + step[bias]
extend[path_, bias_] :=
Append[path, next[Last@path, bias]]

An example of random walk plot code:

show[path_] :=
Show[
ListLinePlot[path,
PlotMarkers -> {Graphics[Circle[{0, 0}, 1]], 0.015},
Axes -> None,
AspectRatio -> 1,
PlotRange -> {{-10, 10}, {-10, 10}}],
Graphics[{Red, Point[Last@path]}]]

An example of dynamic random walk plot:

Module[{path = {{0, 0}}, walk, bias = 0},
Manipulate[
show[path],
Column@{
Row@{
Button["start", Quiet@RemoveScheduledTask@walk;
walk = RunScheduledTask[path = extend[path, bias], 0.5]],
Button["stop", StopScheduledTask[walk]],
Button["reset", path = {{0, 0}}]},
AngularGauge[Dynamic@bias, {-\[Pi], \[Pi]},
ScaleOrigin -> {-\[Pi], \[Pi]}]}]]

Best,