Topic: unexpected output order in notebook (Mathematica 9;
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 1, 2013 12:56 AM

James Stein

Re: unexpected output order in notebook (Mathematica 9; bug?)

I too have been puzzled by this behavior, some time ago. It seems that
results of some expressions in a cell do not appear in the proper
(expected) order. I would hope that some one by now would have explained
why.

As a work-around for the original poster, the "correct" or "expected"
sequence of output can be produced by appending "//Print" to the
"offending" statements. Consider these pairs:

a*b
"test"

a*b//FortranForm
"test"

a*b//FortranForm//Print
"test"

If you put them in the same cell (possibly with other interspersed
expressions), the sequence of printed information produced is a confusing
tangle. Why is such puuzzling behavior not a bug? (I assume it is not a
bug).