Topic: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 13, 2013 4:18 AM

John Fultz

Re: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm

That has nothing to do with the notebook being very old. That's just a
stupid bug in how InputForm communications between kernel and FE happen.
We already had an open bug report about this, and I just pinged the bug
again with a reference to your post. Here's a way you could work around
the bug:

Block[{$CharacterEncoding = "Unicode"}, Print[\[Mu]//InputForm]]

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.

On Mar 7, 2013, at 9:49 PM, carlos%colorado.edu@gtempaccount.com wrote:

> I opened a very old notebook (done in Mathematica 4 some 10 years ago)
under Mathematica 9.0.1 running under Mac OS X 10.6.9. The InputForm
output of Greek symbols is mangled. For example

> Print[\[Mu]//InputForm]
>
> produces a circumflexed I followed by the 1/4 fraction. Cutting and

pasting that output into an Input cell reproduces that garbage. The
problem seems to occur only with that filter, which unfortunately I use
a lot for inlining code.

> Is there an option that can be set so that the Greek symbols are

respected?