Topic: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 13, 2013 4:18 AM

John Fultz

Re: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm

On Mar 9, 2013, at 11:48 PM, carlos%colorado.edu@gtempaccount.com wrote:

> On Friday, March 8, 2013 2:46:25 PM UTC-7, John Fultz wrote:
>> That has nothing to do with the notebook being very old. That's just a
>>
>> stupid bug in how InputForm communications between kernel and FE happen.
>>
>> We already had an open bug report about this, and I just pinged the bug
>>
>> again with a reference to your post. Here's a way you could work around
>>
>> the bug:
>>

>> Block[{$CharacterEncoding = "Unicode"}, Print[\[Mu]//InputForm]]

> Would it be sufficient to put
>
> $CharacterEncoding="Unicode";
>
> at the start of the NB?

My use of Block was being cautious. Having done a little investigation, perhaps it's overly cautious, as changing $CharacterEncoding probably won't have any ill effects on other operations in the kernel.

But it's possible I could be overlooking something.

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.