Topic: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm
Replies: 5   Last Post: Mar 13, 2013 4:18 AM

David Bailey

Re: Greek symbols mangled by InputForm

On 12/03/2013 04:34, carlos%colorado.edu@gtempaccount.com wrote:

>> My use of Block was being cautious. Having done a little investigation, perhaps it's overly cautious, as changing $CharacterEncoding probably won't have any ill effects on other operations in the kernel.
>>

>> But it's possible I could be overlooking something.
>>

>> John Fultz
>>
>> jfultz@wolfram.com
>>
>> User Interface Group
>>
>> Wolfram Research, Inc.

> I tried it on a large code of about 15000 commands (a finite element analysis program used in graduate courses) with 9.0.1 and saw no (obvious) ill effects under Mac OS 10.6. It was set in an initialization cell at start.
>
> Question: some of my students might have to run this program under Windows or Linux. Is there a way to access a OS tag from within Mathematica, so that
>
> $CharacterEncoding="Unicode";
>
> is set only under Mac OS X? (I am not sure if Windows or Linux needs that)

You can test the string obtained from $OperatingSystem

In[4]:= $OperatingSystem

Out[4]= "Windows"

or

In[6]:= $System

Out[6]= "Microsoft Windows (64-bit)"

BTW, it is worth exploring all the $ variables - they contain all sorts
of information:

?$*

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk