GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: The Overriding Influence of Poverty on Children's Educational
Achievement - Redux

Wayne Bishop posted Mar 6, 2013 11:49 PM:

> That explains why immigrant Jews and, more recently,
> Vietnamese boat people and their children have done so
> poorly.

> Wayne

Apples and oranges.

The 'contributory factors' for the relative success of "immigrant Jews and, more recently, Vietnamese boat people and their children" need to be effectively studied (not mechanically brought up, as here) --- as do the 'contributory factors' for the relative lack of success of certain 'home-grown US groups' (which is what I presume Professor Bishop is covertly referring to).

It takes a little serious thinking (which is quite hard work) to discover those important 'contributory factors' in both cases. Mechanical thinking, such as the example we've seen here, will not do.

I'll warrant that Professor Bishop does not adequately understand the meaning of the important transitive relationship "CONTRIBUTES TO" in anything but the most mechanical 'dictionary fashion'. This is clear from his quoted comment above.

I'll also warrant that if the people 'driving the educational systems' were ever to arrive at the kind of understanding I am discussing, a great many of the difficulties and problems that currently trouble your educational systems would be quite happily resolved (likewise for the difficulties and problems that currently trouble our educational systems in India).

It is quite remarkable that 'educational experts' do not even try to understand the *effective meaning* of the relationship "CONTRIBUTES TO".

Or, maybe, it is NOT remarkable at all - because there would be a real revolution in all 'learning + teaching systems' when such an understanding comes about: there will be huge changes in these systems - and change is ALWAYS uncomfortable for those who are comfortable within the existing incompetent systems.

GSC
("Still Shoveling!")