Topic: maxima does not know that log is the inverse of exp
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 10:16 AM

Richard Fateman

Porky does not know base of logs in Maxima was: Re: maxima does

On 3/9/2013 8:36 AM, porky_pig_jr@my-deja.com wrote:
> Downloaded wxMaxima a few days ago and trying different things.

Asked for Taylor polynomial for e^x: (taylor, e^x, x, 0, 8) and got the
following output:

> 1 + log(e)x + log(e)^2 x^2 / 2 + ... Oh well, seems like Maxima is fairly sophisticated

package and yet I would expect 1 + x + x^2/2 ... just what you get
from commercial packages.

> PPJr.

Maybe you should take into account that the base of the natural
logarithms in Maxima is %e . Not e.