Topic: maxima does not know that log is the inverse of exp
Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 10, 2013 10:16 AM

A N Niel

Re: maxima does not know that log is the inverse of exp

In article <a4859b20-3006-45ee-9486-e9c91bf4beed@googlegroups.com>,
<"porky_pig_jr@my-deja.com"> wrote:

> Downloaded wxMaxima a few days ago and trying different things. Asked for
> Taylor polynomial for e^x: (taylor, e^x, x, 0, 8) and got the following
> output:
>
> 1 + log(e)x + log(e)^2 x^2 / 2 + ... Oh well, seems like Maxima is fairly
> sophisticated package and yet I would expect 1 + x + x^2/2 ... just what you
> get from commercial packages.
>
> PPJr.

Maple agrees with Maxima on this. Since for Maple e is just a variable
with no special meaning. You can use exp(x) to get what you want.