Topic: Using PDE Toolbox to solve 2D advection equation
Replies: 3   Last Post: Mar 13, 2013 11:56 AM

Alan Weiss

Re: Using PDE Toolbox to solve 2D advection equation

On 3/13/2013 6:54 AM, Nanna wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've been looking into the PDE Toolbox for teaching purposes. I've
> trawled through the Matlab Newsgroup but haven't been able to find a
> clear answer to this: I'm trying to find a simple way to use the
> toolbox to solve the advection equation in 2D:
> dT/dt=u*dT/dx+v*dT/dy
> where u and v are the (x,y)-components of a velocity field. There is
> no diffusion in the system so it's a first order problem. I have my
> own solution using finite differences, but I would really like to use
> the PDE Toolbox for comparison because of the finite element
> approach. All the examples I have found have been second order PDEs -
> does any one have a suggestion how to proceed? Preferably in a way
> that is suitable for demonstration to 2nd year physics students.
> Best,
> Nanna

I don't know how to map your problem into the form required by PDE Toolbox:
http://www.mathworks.com/help/pde/ug/types-of-pde-problems-you-can-solve.html

Sorry.

Alan Weiss