Topic: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.
Replies: 6   Last Post: Mar 19, 2013 1:51 AM

David Bailey

Re: Multiple independent random number streams cannot be implemented.

On 18/03/2013 09:34, Vince Virgilio wrote:
> On Sunday, March 17, 2013 7:48:21 PM UTC-4, David Bailey wrote:

>> Unfortunately, the documentation at 9.0 deprecates the use of
>>
>> $RandomState - stating that it is superseded by BlockRandom - but
>>
>> clearly $RandomState can solve problems which BlockRandom cannot.

> Agreed. So use Random`GetRandomState[] .
>
> Vince

I don't understand your point, Random`GetRandomState is not documented
at all, and $RandomState is stated to be superseded by BlockRandom!

My point is that $RandomState should not be superseded by a function
that is less useful!

People like to use functions that are documented and not superseded,
because that gives them confidence that they will continue to exist in
future versions!

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk