Topic: Quit is grayed out in Mathematica 8.0.4
Replies: 4   Last Post: Mar 18, 2013 5:34 AM

John Fultz

Re: Quit is grayed out in Mathematica 8.0.4

We had a bug report on this in-house (for the Mac version only, I should
note), and for a long time had trouble reproducing it. We finally were
able to reproduce it in certain cases by opening Mathematica by
double-clicking on certain notebooks, and we believe the problem has
been completely fixed in v9. No new reports have come in against v9.

But, looking back in the history of the bug report, it looks like there
were several cases where, for some users, the specific trigger for the
behavior could never be properly ascertained, even though we were able
to identify the bad state Mathematica ultimately entered that disabled
the Quit item. So, I'd say that if you're launching Mathematica by
double-clicking on a notebook, try not doing that. But possibly that's
not what you're doing, in which case I'm not sure that I have much good
advice to offer in the way of a workaround.

John Fultz
jfultz@wolfram.com
User Interface Group
Wolfram Research, Inc.