Topic: Wikia vs my own server with MediaWiki
Replies: 1   Last Post: Mar 21, 2013 5:53 PM

James Waldby

Re: Wikia vs my own server with MediaWiki

On Wed, 20 Mar 2013 22:18:42 +0200, Victor Porton wrote:

> For a few weeks I am a proud owner of my own virtual private server, which
> costs me $31.5/month.
>
> I have also created this site: <http://researchtrends.wikia.com>
>
> Now it does not work well in displaying math formulas. See red error
> messages in place of some math formulas:
>
> <http://researchtrends.wikia.com/wiki/Multifuncoid_has_atomic_arguments>
>
> Should I wait while Wiki will update their software? Or maybe its better to
> move this site to my own server, installing there MediaWiki with math
> support myself?

[snip]

My impression from <http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Math_help>
is that you could wait a long time for wikia to update their software.
You probably would be better off figuring out what you did wrong in
the markup on your multifuncoid page and fix it. Make a little test
page and copy-and-paste several copies of the stuff that isn't parsing
into it. Isolate the problem by removing or adding various parts of
it. Paste it into an external editor that highlights matching
parentheses/braces/brackets.

If you don't have latex installed on your system you could install it
and use it to test the expressions, with more-rapid turnaround and
more-expressive messages.

<http://community.wikia.com/wiki/Help:Math> says "MediaWiki uses a
subset of AMS-LaTeX markup" so it might be possible to get help in
tex/latex venues like <http://tex.stackexchange.com/>.

--
jiw