Topic: name for definition in group theory
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 26, 2013 11:35 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: name for definition in group theory

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 06:42:46 -0600, "G. A. Edgar"
<edgar@math.ohio-state.edu.invalid> wrote:

>In article <m89uk8lshngii7afp7qktplg90ubnq9doj@4ax.com>, David C.
>Ullrich <ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:
>

>> A topological group is
>
>Now there is overkill for you.

Yes. First thing I thought of was using some sort
of structure theorem. But I don't know any such
theorems. Then I realized that the Pontryagin
Duality Theorem was in fact a sort of structuure
theorem that would suffice, and I rushed into print.

I _did_ follow up with an elementary argument...