Topic: MathTeachers?
Replies: 31   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 1:17 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: MathTeachers? > action

Re: GSC's "NOW: if an adequately representative listing of these
misunderstandings and errors were to be made, then I believe an 'action
plan' could be constructed that could help a great many teachers in their
'mission' of helping students understand 'exponential growth'. "

Agreed, wholeheartedly, but a bit myopic. The broader need is to: (1) scan
ALL core-curricular topics for purposes of identifying those whose
prevailing ("normal") curricular treatments commonly are difficult for
students to personally digest as mathematical common sense; (2)
mathematically determine alternative mathematical developments that are more
comprehensible to more students; and (3) post those alternatives on a
(MKTE) web-ipedia devoted to Mathematical Knowledge for Teachers' Education.

The (MACS) Project for Teaching and Learning Mathematics As Common Sense
now is striving to spark such an initiative. Professionals who are
interesting in collaborating on the project should contact me, directly.

Cordially,
Clyde