Replies: 101   Last Post: Apr 7, 2013 10:38 PM

David Petry

On Saturday, April 6, 2013 2:32:39 PM UTC-7, Rotwang wrote:

> Lest anyone assume that Petry actually knows what he's talking about,
> it's worth mentioning that many applied mathematicians do, in fact, make
> liberal use of Cantorian set theory.

"those of us who work in probability theory or any other area of applied mathematics have a right to demand that this disease [Cantorian set theory] be quarantined and kept out of our field" (From "Probability Theory: The Logic of Science" by E. T. Jaynes)

"The pure mathematician can do what he pleases, but the applied mathematician must be at least partially sane." (J. Willard Gibbs)

Date Subject Author
David Petry
fom
David Petry