Topic: Re: MathTeachers? >> sensibility of exponentials
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: MathTeachers? >> sensibility of exponentials

Kirby Urner posted Mar 27, 2013 6:27 AM:

> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Joe Niederberger
> <niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

<snip>
> By all means tell the story of artifacts, used to do
> math and/or made by
> means of math.
>
> Not just ruler and compass, or ruler. Not just the
> abacus.
>
> Spend lots of time on the history of artifacts, share
> the lore.
>
> Yes fractals, yes computers.

<snip>
This 'sense of 'history' should be most useful indeed, I believe, relevant to Danielle T's original request. I recall that the lack of historical background provided in the math courses I had taken was 'impoverishing'. Though I believe it would take an exceptional teacher to help provide that considering the constraints of time and pressures of 'syllabus'. I recall, however, that I did have one excellent math professor during engineering who did try and provide that sense of math history.

GSC