Topic: Titius-Bode Rule becomes a law of physics from Maxwell Equations
Chapt16.15 Gravity Cells #1456 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed

Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 4, 2013 4:54 AM

David Bernier

Re: 0 degrees Re: Sun's 220km/sec in the plane of ecliptic?? Chapt16.15
Gravity Cells #1458 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed

On 04/03/2013 07:58 PM, Archimedes Plutonium wrote:
> On Apr 3, 6:24 pm, Archimedes Plutonium
> <plutonium.archime...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Apr 3, 3:47 pm, Archimedes Plutonium
> (snipped)
>>
>> Now I am having a hard time of locating a vital piece of information.
>> I need to know the direction of Sun's motion, its 220 km/sec relative
>> to the plane of the ecliptic. I would hazard to guess that the motion
>> is parallel to the plane of ecliptic, in other words the linear
>> forward motion of the Sun is the plane ecliptic itself as if the plane
>> had a arrow of direction.
>>
>> I intuitively find it hard to think that the motion of the Sun is
>> anywhere off the plane of the ecliptic.

I suspect that the 3-D rectangular origin (0, 0, 0) in
rectangular coordinates is or is near the centre of
mass (barycentre) of the solar system.

The ecliptic is a reference plane that approximates
very well the mean orbit of the earth around the sun.

>> I had a look in Kaufmann's text Universe on page 461 and he talks
>> about the Sun relative to stars nearby and the Perseus arm, Orion
>> bridge and Sagittarius arm. I looked in Wikipedia for some light shed
>> on the question with no luck.
>>
>> So the question is quite simple, as to what is the direction of motion
>> of the Sun of its 220km/sec relative to the Plane of the Ecliptic? Is
>> the direction in the plane or is it some angle off that plane?

I sincerely doubt that people in solar dynamics would use
an ecliptic reference plane where the sun would move
at 220 km/sec .

In the old days, the proper motions of extra-solar stars
relative to the earth were not known.

Wikipedia quote:

<< The Sun travels in a nearly circular orbit (the solar circle) about
the center of the Milky Way at a speed of about 220 km/s at a radius of
8 ± 0.65 kpc from the center,[4][5] which can be taken as the rate of
rotation of the Milky Way itself at this radius.[6][7] >>

cf.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_motion

dave

--