Topic: Re: Field Memo on Transition to Common Core Regents Exams and Updated June 20...
Replies: 12   Last Post: Apr 5, 2013 12:45 PM

StGOLD2112@aol.com

Re: Field Memo on Transition to Common Core Regents Exams and Updated June 20...
att1.html (11.8 K)

NYSED has said from the outset that the conversion scale will be out no
later than the Rating Day, which is well past the administration of the
Integrated Algebra Regents. My concern is how to prepare students for an exam
that is not necessarily aligned with the curriculum that will be taught
during the year in such a short period of time. The week in between exams does
not seem like enough time.

Steve Goldman
Half Hollow Hills HS East
Dix Hills, NY

In a message dated 4/3/2013 8:10:05 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
ryley.d@beaconk12.org writes:

I am surprised there haven?t been more comments/questions on the
list-serve regarding this change in Common Core implementation. I applaud the
decision as it gives NYSED more time to prepare for the new exams and more time
for us to get necessary materials from them. I also am happy that the
students get the opportunity to take both Algebra exams next June. Students
who are in year 1 of 2 right now would have been forced to take only the
Common Core exam while the exact content of the CC curriculum has not exactly
been made clear during most of this school year.
My #1 question is when will the students get their scores from the early
June CC Algebra Regents? I don?t know how long the standard setting will
take, but in fairness, the student?s should know what their score is on the
CC exam before the Integrated Algebra exam is given. This way they know if
they need to take the 2nd exam. As it is, school districts are probably
going to end up paying for lots of unused exams for the Integrated to cover
the kids in case they don?t pass the CC test.
Dave Ryley
Beacon HS
Beacon, NY
From: Dianne Gizowski <_GizowskD@dcmoboces.com_
From: Ken Wagner <_KWAGNER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV_ (mailto:KWAGNER@MAIL.NYSED.GOV)

Date: March 29, 2013, 11:52:18 AM EDT
To: Charter Administrators <_charter@listserv.nysed.gov_
(mailto:charter@listserv.nysed.gov) >, District Superintendents <_distsup@listserv.nysed.gov_
(mailto:distsup@listserv.nysed.gov) >, Nonpublic Administrators
<_nonpublic@listserv.nysed.gov_ (mailto:nonpublic@listserv.nysed.gov) >, Public
Administrators <_pubadmin@listserv.nysed.gov_
(mailto:pubadmin@listserv.nysed.gov) >, School Superintendents <_supt-info@listserv.nysed.gov_
(mailto:supt-info@listserv.nysed.gov) >
Cc: Ken Slentz <_KSLENTZ@MAIL.NYSED.GOV_ (mailto:KSLENTZ@MAIL.NYSED.GOV) >
Subject: Field Memo on Transition to Common Core Regents Exams and Updated
June 2014 Regents Exam Schedule

Colleagues,

The attached memo provides information on the transition to Common Core
Regents Exams in English Language Arts (ELA) and in mathematics (Algebra I,
Geometry, and Algebra II).

Please note that the June 2014 Regents Exam schedule has been updated
based on field feedback.

Because the first administrations of the Common Core exams in Geometry and
Algebra II have been postponed until June 2015 and June 2016,
respectively, the June 2014 exam schedule has been amended such that the Regents
Examination in Algebra I (Common Core) will be administered on the morning of
June 3, the Regents Examination in ELA (Common Core) will be administered on
the afternoon of June 3, and no exams will be administered on June 4, as
had originally been planned.

We will re-send the memo the week of April 8 for those who may have missed
it during school vacations.

Thank you for your help with this work,

Ken