Topic: How precisely can a right angle be measured?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 5, 2013 7:17 PM

Tom Potter

Re: How precisely can a right angle be measured?

"pete" <pfiland@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Tom Potter wrote:
>>
>> How would one measure a right angle
>> without using geometry,
>> or the 3-4-5 relationship,
>>
>> and how precisely can a right angle be measured?

> I place a straight edge
> approximately perpendicular to a straight line,
> and then I maneuver the edge to make adjacent angles
> of equal size.
>
> It's very easy to accurately compare adjacent angles.
>
> I can't state the precission.
>
> --
> pete

Okay,
let's assume that a laser beam is a "straight line"
over the range of interest,

and let us "place a straight <laser beam>
approximately perpendicular to <the> straight line,"

and juggle the "approximately perpendicular straight line"
until the "adjacent angles" are equal,

how do we compare the "adjacent angles"?

--
Tom Potter

http://the-cloud-machine.tk
http://tiny.im/390k