Topic: How precisely can a right angle be measured?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 5, 2013 7:17 PM

Bart Goddard

Re: How precisely can a right angle be measured?

pete <pfiland@mindspring.com> wrote in news:515E07CA.1347
@mindspring.com:

> Tom Potter wrote:
>>
>> "pete" <pfiland@mindspring.com> wrote in message

>> > I place a straight edge
>> > approximately perpendicular to a straight line,
>> > and then I maneuver the edge to make adjacent angles
>> > of equal size.
>> >
>> > It's very easy to accurately compare adjacent angles.
>> >
>> > I can't state the precission.
>> >
>> > --
>> > pete

>> Okay,
>> let's assume that a laser beam is a "straight line"
>> over the range of interest,
>>
>> and let us "place a straight <laser beam>
>> approximately perpendicular to <the> straight line,"
>>
>> and juggle the "approximately perpendicular straight line"
>> until the "adjacent angles" are equal,
>>
>> how do we compare the "adjacent angles"?

> The best that I can explain it
> is just that it is very easy to see, simply by looking,
> which of two adjacent supplementary angles,
> if either, is bigger.
>
> At this link,
> http://regentsprep.org/Regents/math/geometry/GP5/SuppAng.gif
> you should be able to tell that angle 2,
> is bigger than angle 1,
> just by looking at them.
>
> Try it.
> Get some paper, a straight edge, and a pencil.
> Draw a line.
> Reposition the straight,
> and draw a perpendicular line.
>
> You shouldn't need a protractor
> to be able to tell if you got it right.

I would set the point of my compass at the point of intersection.
Then draw a circle about that point. The circle intersects the
line at A and B, and the perpendicular at C. Set the point of the
compass at C and the pencil at A and draw another circle. If it
falls short of B or over shoots B, then you'll know which angle is
bigger. Or does that violate the rule of "without using geometry"?

B.