Topic: Help with UNIX() command
Replies: 5   Last Post: Apr 5, 2013 10:43 PM

Doug Schwarz

Re: Help with UNIX() command

In article <kjkll5$j6o$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>,
"John " <atreides1234@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Nasser M. Abbasi" wrote in message <kjkl4o$if2$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> > On 4/4/2013 2:26 PM, John wrote:
> > > I want to run a shell script within MATLAB, but the script is csh. When
> > > I try running
> > >it in MATLAB it says /bin/bash commande does not exist. How do I get
> > >MATLAB
> > >to run the UNIX command using csh and not bash?
> > >

> > When you explain a problem, it helps to also show what you actually
> > typed. No one can see your screen from here to figure what you
> > typed.
> >
> > But may be this helps
> >
> > http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/system.html
> >
> > "system
> >
> > Execute operating system command and return output"

> [s,w]=unix('to3d -session e126 -prefx 4244_run_01 -epan -time:zt 28 104 1800
> altplus ./s1037/*MRDC*')
> /bin/bash: to3d: command not found
>
> That is what I run and the error I get. Using system produces the same
> error. The problem is MATLAB is trying to run it through a bash shell, and
> its a command for a c-shell(csh). I need to know how to get MATLAB to
> execute the command in a c-shell. and ! will not work either for the exact
> same reason.

If you really want to execute the command in a c-shell, try

[s,w]=unix('csh -c "to3d -session e126 -prefx 4244_run_01 -epan -time:zt
28 104 1800 altplus ./s1037/*MRDC*"')

but it really just looks like the command t03d isn't on your path (the
posix one). Figure out where that command lives by typing

which to3d

in a shell terminal. Let's say it's in /usr/local/bin. You can add
that directory to the posix path from within MATLAB with something like

current_path = getenv('PATH');
new_path = [current_path,pathsep,'/usr/local/bin'];
setenv('PATH',new_path)

which you can put in your startup m-file.

--
Doug Schwarz
dmschwarz&ieee,org