Topic: OT Yahoo getting worse?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 10, 2013 12:16 PM

Tom Potter

Re: OT Yahoo getting worse?

"Bear" <bear.bottoms.1@gmail.com> wrote in message
> UnsteadyKen expressed precisely :
>> Duddits wrote...
>>> I've built a more concise start page at
>>> http://www.protopage.com/

>> Protopage looks interesting, thanks for the link.

> Yes, thanks for the link. Looks like it could be more than just an RSS
> reader. I've converted over to Feedly and it is about the same as Google
> Reader and getting better every day with their new found efforts after
> gaining a lot of users who flocked to them from Google.
>
> I'm going to play with Protopage for a bit.
>
> --
> Bear
> http://bearware.info

I use Protopage as my web page
and branch off from there

using http://the-cloud-machine.tk
and http://warp-to-.us
to zoom to thousands of web sites.

In addition, I use "speeddial" to maintain sets of web sites,
and "History" and "Session Manager" to "back up" and review.

I use DKMY, ( Don't kill me yet. )
http://www.findmysoft.net/win/dkmy-download.html

a free, 68k program,
to prevent myself from killing the Protopage page
as it is my main starting point each session.

I also use DKMY to prevent myself from accidentally killing
and having to reload
the main program I am working with
such as Word, Photoshop, etc.

As I mentioned before,
I find that when doing serious research,
I can get much better and faster results
by doing a Amazon search,
and reading customer reviews,

than I do by wading though the ads,
the personal data collection,
and the "Google Cooked" and "Google Bombed"
Google searches.

Also Yandex is a much better search engine than Google.

Faster, more honest hits and headers,
no personal data collection, etc.

I use the freeware "SelectToSurf" program to:
"Select plaintext in any program and hit the hotkey (ctrl+space)
; If the text looks like a url or website name it will be opened.
; otherwise a google search will be conducted with the phrase.
; urls will be cleaned of unnesc. punctuation and split-lines will be
merged."

I must mention that I changed the search from Google to Bing.

http://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=6714.0

"SelectToSurf" is great for doing a fast search when reading E-Books,
and for sorting data such as names, places and things in a spreadsheet,
and doing searches on data in some column of interest.

One other point,
I use the "ListAllLinks" bookmarklet
to list the links on a page,

copy them to the free "Spread32" spreadsheet,
sort them

and then I use "SelectToSurf"
to jump to the web sites of interest.
--