Topic: Sine Wave Samplig at Nyquist rate.
Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 11, 2013 1:00 AM

Greg Heath

Re: Sine Wave Samplig at Nyquist rate.

"Charlene " <charlene2494@gmail.com> wrote in message <kk3of6$la8$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hey I'm Currently studying Signals and Systems and I'm a relatively new user on MATLAB. I'm Wondering How do i Sample a sine wave at Nyquist rate on MATLAB. I now how to generate a sine wave. I also need some help in its reconstruction.
>

> Thanks

You have to sample FASTER than the Nyquist rate.

For a sine wave the Nyquist rate is twice per period. So if you sample at t=0 and
t= T/2 , you are in trouble because A*sin(2*pi*t/T) = 0 at both places, losing any
information about A..

That is why, in important($) work you must filter all frequencies at and above the Nyquist
frequency before using frequency transform analysis

Hope this helps.

Greg