Topic: Matheology § 224
Replies: 84   Last Post: Apr 20, 2013 4:43 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: Matheology S 224

You wrote:

'"x is in a non-empty subset of S" could be _expressed_ as a FOL
language expression: x e S' /\ Ay[ y e S' -> y e S].'

How does the FOL expression express "x is in a non-empty subset of S"?
It can only do so if "e" has a particular meaning. How is that meaning
established?

Also, as I remarked elsewhere, "x e S' /\ Ay[ y e S' -> y e S]" doesn't
express "x is in a non-empty subset of S".

> And I _already_ gave clear caveats about that!
>

> >> What reason is there to suppose that "x is proven" cannot be expressed
> >> in the language of a first order theory with a unary predicate p (say)?
> >> The intended meaning of p would then be given by the non-logical axioms
> >> of that theory.
> >>
> >> Note that set theory can express its own provability predicate.

Date Subject Author
4/12/13
Read Re: Matheology § 224
Alan Smaill