Topic: a problem with temperature records
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 8:05 PM

Axel Vogt

Re: a problem with temperature records

On 13.04.2013 15:00, josephus wrote:

> I  have some data sets   ENGLAND 1729-1970,  NOAA 1880-2012  GISS ==
> NOAA data.  I even have  a data set for  ICE  but that is not my
> problem.
>
> the problem  is  when I  run a  least squares algorithm over the  data
> set.  should I change  the  extent,  the slope  increases (??).
>
> so I  plotted the aggregate list of slopes  // mod X.  then I plot that
> list.  and  this is were the problem exceeds my programming and
> mathematics.  I can take slope data  at any scale   (all slopes are
> 2012 to N).   I take all my slopes upward  If I reversed the process I
> would expect to get negative slopes.
>

> this is a plot of  the slopes over  the data NOAA   and  excluding data
> set downward slopes.    this is an artifact of GW.    the ranges of the
> data are  increasing  together.  the result is my BEST FIT line  also
> is
> positive and   increasing.
>
> the big question is  WHAT KIND of PROCESSING  caused  the RAW DATA to
> show irregular slopes like these
>
> If you want I can send you the RAW data  and  the slope list.
>
> this is  a much more complex problem than just displaying odd data.
> every data set I have processed agrees with the general terms of this
> program   they all plot upward  except for ENGLAND  it slopes downward
>
> I believe this data set was conformed by a process.   but  the
> artifacts
> have strange properties  it may be a trap door function,  but I am
> interesstd in   understanding  the slope data that I have  produced.
>
> josephus
>

> MY regular plot [scatter gram]

I tried to understand you question - but I am a bit lost (may be it is
my English,
and I do not understand you abbreviations).

Could you provide your data (by a link?) and clearly say what you do or
expect or
want? It is not clear what "least squares algorithm over the data set"
should be,
or "negative slopes".

Do you want some approximating 'curve' to your data? Or just a 'line'?
Or what?