Topic: a problem with temperature records
Replies: 7   Last Post: Apr 15, 2013 8:05 PM

Axel Vogt

Re: a problem with temperature records

On 15.04.2013 14:50, JohnF wrote:

> Axel Vogt <&noreply@axelvogt.de> wrote:
> > josephus wrote:
> > > I have some data sets ENGLAND 1729-1970, NOAA 1880-2012 ?GISS ==
> > > NOAA data. I even have a data set for ICE but that is not my
> > > problem.
> > > the problem is when I run a least squares algorithm over the data
> > > set. should I change the extent, the slope increases (??).
> > > the big question is WHAT KIND of PROCESSING caused the RAW DATA to
> > > show irregular slopes like these
> > > josephus

> > I tried to understand you question - but I am a bit lost
> >

> Me, too, a bit lost. But there are lots of geostatistical
> techniques to accommodate lots of less-than-obvious behaviors,
> correlations, etc, e.g., google the term kriging and/or see
> http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriging
> You shouldn't be surprised seeing unexpected statistical
> artifacts just using straightforward least squares.
> You've probably got lots more literature work ahead of you
> before deciding how best to reduce, analyze, etc your data.

No, I do not want to do that, but want to know what you do
(and why only for each 2nd year?).

Anyway, here are your data, plotted in a linked Excel sheet

Roughly one can say: data have 3 periods, are always a bit
oscillating. And can never be approximated by a 'line'.

http://www.axelvogt.de/temp/temp_data.xls