Topic: Square of a lower triangular matrix
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 14, 2013 6:12 PM

Bart Goddard

Re: Square of a lower triangular matrix

HardySpicer <gyansorova@gmail.com> wrote in news:41941a8a-bdaf-4676-bd6e-
f1decee0b343@ka6g2000pbb.googlegroups.com:

> If I have a lower (say n square) triangular matrix T and I compute
> T^2 is there a proof which says that it too must be a lower triangular
> matrix with diagonal elements the square of the original?

Each element above the diagonal in the product is the dot product
of a row ending with m zeros and a column beginning with k zeros
where m+k >= n. The diagonal entries are dot products with only
one nonzero term.