Topic: Different results on windows and linux?
Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 19, 2013 5:34 AM

Loren Shure

Re: Different results on windows and linux?

"Rui" <rui.maciel@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tuesday, 16 April 2013 14:24:17 UTC+1, Rui wrote:
>> I've been using Matlab (2012b 64-bit) on linux (Ubuntu 12.10) and windows
>> (Windows 7), and I've noticed that running the same test script (which
>> calls functions which are a part of a commercial toolbox) on each
>> installation ends up outputting values that are slightly different.

> Doe anyone experienced any discrepancy in results outputted by Matlab
> running on different OSs, or does Matlab generate the exact same results
> in any platform?
> Rui Maciel

The results may not be bit-by-bit equal because different OSes use different
libraries and sometimes have difference processors. Results SHOULD be the
same to within numerical precision/roundoff considerations. If that's not
the case, it's possible you get very different answers if you are working
with a very ill-conditioned matrix, for example. So, without the details,
it will be hard for anyone reading this thread to help you out precisely.