Topic: THE SPIRAL CODE OF PRIME NUMBERS IS PUBLISHED TODAY INTERNATIONALLY
Replies: 5   Last Post: May 3, 2013 5:58 AM

Robin Chapman

Dubious pay-to-publish journals was Re: THE SPIRAL CODE OF PRIME

On 02/05/2013 14:53, Soap Research wrote:

> I've just read your "article". It's really amazing that an editor
> agreed to publish such crap. As in your previous papers, you don't
> prove anything. You list numbers and hope that someone other than you
> will see the "pattern" inspired by a divine influence.
>
> And this so-called journal is called "International Journal of
> Applied Mathematical Research"... Another journal without credibility
> that agrees to publish anything as long as someone pays.

This is a pay-to-publish journal. Even respectable publishers
are no adopting the pay-to-publish model, dressing up the direct
transfers of academics' funds into their coffers as "gold open access"
or some other such weaselly phrase.

Actually 100 euros is not much for the paper by the standards of
p-to-p journals. But one might ask is the money well-spent?
Has the paper actually been refereed? Of course one can't tell
whether an individual paper has been refereed or not, but looking
at the mass of papers published by a journal there can be signs
indicating that a rigorous refereeing system is in place or not.

Many electronic journals add a header or footer to their papers
stating when a paper was submitted, when revised and when published.
It's a good sign when papers have been given a revision date:
this is generally when the authors have addressed the referee's
comments.

Another good sign is when authors acknowledge the referees. This
is a definite sign of a thorough refereeing job.
I once looked through a few dozen papers in another p-to-p
journal ("The South Asian Journal of Mathematics" USD100 per paper)
but could not find a single paper where the author had acknowledged
the referee's assistance. This journal had also in part "recruited"
an editorial board by listing some well-known mathematicians without
their approval or indeed their knowledge:

http://wp.auburn.edu/ash/?p=92
http://wp.auburn.edu/ash/?p=94
http://wp.auburn.edu/ash/?p=101

I find the proliferation of pay-to-publish a worrying trend
and I regard its advocates as being complicit in such abuses as
the above.