Topic: Question about Base
Replies: 12   Last Post: May 19, 2013 5:01 PM

Jymesion

Re: Question about Base

On Sun, 19 May 2013 05:28:02 -0700 (PDT), Bill Taylor
<wfc.taylor@gmail.com> wrote:

>It also has the useful feature that every
>natural number has a unique represntation.

That's far beyond my usage. Rather than exploring theory, I'm trying
to create a system that might evolve if the users had little capacity
for learning by rote. Zero has separate and distinct rules, so I had
to avoid it at all costs.

>This may be useful in some automata work.

I've dipped into the idea of a calculator based on this arithmetic. So
far, I've only gotten around to designing the display (which has the
great feature that every digit needs only 3 wires), but I have an
inkling that a truly elegant solution exists for addition and
subtraction.