Topic: a question on circles & trapezoids
Replies: 2   Last Post: May 22, 2013 10:51 PM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: a question on circles & trapezoids

Absolutely correct. With your invaluable hint/assistance/explanation, I now understand.

I simply needed to draw all those triangles separately and label stuff properly and I got it all sorted out and got it solved. I'll look up the numbers at some point; it was one of the last questions in this year's national Mathcounts sprint round. A student I've been working with (who got 24 right on that round, so he/she's no slouch!) showed it to me, and neither of us, nor anyone on his team, nor his coach, was able to figure it out, so thanks.

I attach a PNG picture that I drew with Geometer's Sketchpad.

A lot of things are equal in length: EO and FO are equal radii, as you said. In addition, BG and CH are congruent altitudes in the trapezoid (or are opposite sides of a rectangle). Triangle EOA is similar to triangle GBA since they both contain right angles and angle A (Angle-Angle Similarity Postulate in some books). Similarly, triangle FDO ~ HDC, with the vertices lined up by me with care.

I thin get, all with reference to the similar triangles and substitution (work it out however you wish):

AO / AB = AE / AG = EO/BG = FO/CH = DO/CD = DF / DH

Of all that, I only need the first part and the fifth part, and I get exactly your result.

Thank you!

Now, this suggests to me a follow-up question:

As I was making the GSP diagram, I noticed I was unable to **construct** it easily using the equivalent of Euclid's axioms that is built into GSP. I made a drawing that looks similar to the real, bonafide sitution, but if you look carefully, you may notice that point F was not really made by me as the single intersection/point of tangency of the circle. I got it as close as I could by fudging it; but the rest is all correct; that is, I made BC and AD really parallel, and BG and CH are really sides of a rectangle, since they are altitudes of the trapezoid. And the circle really is constructed to be tangent to side AD.

But point F is just a kluge, and approximation.

Here is the question: Prescribe the equivalent of a geometric construction so that point F will be in fact the single point of tangency of the cicle and leg CD. You're allowed to use almost anything in the GSP (or similar program) armory of geometric tools. I think I have it figured out. The test will be if it 'falls apart' if I move the sides around.

Anybody else think they have one?

Charles, do you mind if I post this on my blog?

Guy Brandenburg, Washington, DC
http://gfbrandenburg.wordpress.com/
http://home.earthlink.net/~gfbranden/GFB_Home_Page.html