Topic: Inconsistent equations?
Replies: 1   Last Post: May 25, 2013 2:17 PM

James Waldby

Re: Inconsistent equations?

On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:50:07 -0700, Peter wrote: ...
> No variable can be zero, and the ms and rs cannot be equal; so, there is no solution for x. Agree?

Given your added condition "No variable can be zero" it is easy
to properly prove the equations inconsistent. Note, for clarity
in following I write m, r, w instead of m1, r1, w1, and
n, s instead of m2, r2.

Given: m != n; r != s; (1) mrw = nsx; (2) mrrww = nssxx, with
juxtaposition denoting multiplication; (3) all of m, r, w, n, s,
x are nonzero.

From (1) (and supposing mrrww = mrwrw, etc), mrrww = nsxrw. Then
by (2), mrrww = nsxrw = nssxx = nsxsx. We suppose (3) then
implies rw = sx. So mrw = nsx = nrw, hence m = n, contradicting (3).

--
jiw