Topic: Mathematics & Logic. Details!
Replies: 1   Last Post: Jun 20, 2013 12:41 AM

Zaljohar@gmail.com

Re: Mathematics & Logic. Details!

On Jun 5, 6:52 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> a logical concept or not, here I'll side with those accepting it as a
> logical concept.
>
> Now we add the logical monadic symbol e, denoting "extension of", and
> axiomatize that if P is a predicate symbol then eP is a term of the
> language, and axiomatize in a Fregean manner:
>
> eP=eQ iff (For all x. P(x) iff Q(x)) ....[1]
>
> Now we consider that as a logical axiom, the underlying idea is that
> the question of "extending" predicates is a purely logical question,
> and it is not specific to any kind of first order predicates so it
> doesn't depend on the content (semantics) that predicate stands for,
> and thus I accept it as a kind of logic that I call as "Extensional
> logic", also the idea is that the above axiom is "illustrative" it
> illustrates what is going on with predicates, so the additional power
> that the system has comes from this illustrative concept, and
> illustrating a logical
> concept is a logical concept also. So the system "FOL+empty predicates
> +=+ID+e+[1]" is a pure logical system.
>
> Now we desire to upgrade this system into second order realm, so we
> need to add variable symbols that range over predicates, impose
> necessary restrictions on them, and make adjustment on formation of
> formulas necessary to ensure that no paradox will be reached by those
> formation rules.
>
> Contemplate the following extension:
>
> We divide objects into two sorts, those symbolized in lower case, and
> those symbolized in primed lower case. So objects the variable x range
> over are not necessarily the same ones variable x' range over.
>
> We restrict predicate symbols to take object arguments only.
>
> Predicates to be symbolized in upper case.
>
> Also predicate symbols shall be divided into two sorts: non primed
> predicate symbols and primed predicate symbols.
>
> We restrict the primed predicate symbols to be only Constant predicate
> symbols, so P' actually hold for a particular predicate of the second
> sort only. While non primed predicate symbols can be Variables ranging
> over predicates of the first sort or might be constant symbols ranging
> over one predicate of the first sort. To differentiate those we put
> two brackets around the symbol to show that it is constant, this can
> also be done with the object symbols. So [P] denotes a specific
> predicate of the first sort, while P is a variable ranging over first
> sort of predicates.
>
> Of course since all primed predicates are constants we'll leave it
> written without brackets since it cannot be a variable symbol, so P'
> is a Constant predicate of the second sort.
>
> phi, pi, $ are used as specified.
>
> Now we come to define "well sorted" formula:
>
> x=y ;  x'=y' ; [x]=[y] ; [x]'=[y]' ; x=[y] ; x'=[y]'  are well sorted
> formulas.
>
> P'(x') ; P'([x]')  are well sorted formulas.
>
> P(x) ; P([x]) ; [P](x) ; [P]([x])  are well sorted formulas.
>
> y=e[P] ; y'=eP'  are well sorted formulas.

Just a further detail, it is worth noting that it is more plausible to
"define" constants after variables by using a "witness" concept.

So we can add the symbol w which is a dyadic symbol linking Predicate
variable symbol to a formula. The rule is:

if phi is a well sorted formula in which only x1...xn occur free, then
wP(for all x1..xn (P(x1..xn) iff phi)) is a term.

This is abbreviated as wP(P:=phi)

":=" stands for "is definable after"

Axiom: wP(P:=phi) := phi

This says that wP(phi) is definable after phi, as P is definable after
phi, since wP(P:=phi)
is just a predicate that witnesses P, it is nothing but a particular
substitute of P, to enact that particularity we state:

Axiom: (phi1<->phi2) <-> wP1(P1:=phi1)=wP2(P2:=phi2)

Now in this way wP would be a constant.

so y=e[P] would be enacted after "variable symbols" as

y=e(wP(P:=phi)) for any well sorted formula phi satisifying the
conditions above.

This facilitates the proof of second order arithemtic, and make the
above method more coherent.

It is noted that this method can be extended over all natural sorts by
natural indexing, thus possibley making this logic interpreting
'every' n-th order arithemtic, thus most of mathematics.

Zuhair