Topic: Reply from SED regarding June 2014 Regents exam schedule
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jun 11, 2013 5:06 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Reply from SED regarding June 2014 Regents exam schedule
att1.html (6.9 K)

emscassessinfo@mail.nysed.gov

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps

From: JFish@csufsd.org
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Date: 06/06/2013 11:05 AM
Sent by: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org

To any interested party;

Below you will find the response I received from SED regarding my concern over the Geometry and Alg.2/Trig Regents exams being given simultaneously in June 2014. My concern was that we will be far short on graphing calculators for that many students at once. This is far more than the "inconvenience" that Ms. Becker said it would be!

She said the schedule is "final". I thought that if more of us expressed this same concern, they may reconsider.

Sincerely,

Jim Fish

Mathematics Department Chair
JFK High School
305 Cayuga Creek Road
Cheektowaga, NY 14227
(716)897-7800 ext. 1120

"We the willing, are doing the impossible
for the ungrateful. We have done so much
for so long, with so little, we are now
qualified to do anything with nothing."

"NYSED EMSCASSESSINFO" <EMSCASSESSINFO@MAIL.NYSED.GOV>
06/06/2013 10:49 AM

<JFish@csufsd.org>

cc

Subject

Re: June 2014 Regents exam schedule

Good Morning, Mr. Fish,

Thank you for writing to the Office of State Assessment and providing us with your feedback regarding the June 2014 Regents Exam Schedule. This schedule is considered finalized and will not change. I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If our office can be of any further assistance to you, please feel free to contact us at this e-mail address.

Regards,

Eileen Becker

Office of State Assessment, Communications>>> <JFish@csufsd.org> 6/5/2013 6:49 PM >>>

I have a concern regarding the concurrent scheduling of the Geometry and
the Algebra 2/trigonometry Regents exams in June 2014.

With the graphing calculator requirements and lower school budgets, my
school will not come close to having enough calculators to administer both
exams at the same time. I have heard from a number of other districts and
they are in the same situation.

Is there any chance the Department would consider rescheduling one of the
exams for a different day?

Sincerely,

James Fish

Mathematics Department Chair
JFK High School
305 Cayuga Creek Road
Cheektowaga, NY 14227
(716)897-7800 ext. 1120

"We the willing, are doing the impossible
for the ungrateful. We have done so much
for so long, with so little, we are now
qualified to do anything with nothing."

Spam
Not spam