Topic: Re: Integrated Algebra June 2013 REGENTS
Replies: 35   Last Post: Jun 15, 2013 4:21 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Integrated Algebra June 2013 REGENTS
att1.html (3.3 K)

common core is NOT NOT NOT about "what's in!"
There is a curriculum map and there are the PARCC frameworks and the common core standards. There will be modules by the end of the summer (I know that's awhile off, but try being a k-8 teacher who did common core already this year without any modules and with a test-we really can't complain)
To prepare for next year, we should NOT be waiting for a "what's in" list - I seriously doubt there will be one and we should not be focused on creating one - we should be figuring out HOW we are going to change our delivery so that students have to the opportunity to think about mathematics every single day - think and reason - not memorize 'steps'.
There is a test map-type document on engageny that was handed out to NTI members that does show differences between some integrated algebra questions and sample common core test questions. There is also the module overview for module 1 for algebra. Both of these were posted previously on this list serve in the past month. Both are very important summer reading for every single math teacher in the state (including those who won't be teaching algebra next year-you need to see where they've been!) Reading the grades 6-8 standards would also be a crucial thing to do if you have not already done so.
Liz

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps