Topic: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
Replies: 19   Last Post: Jun 23, 2013 5:27 PM

David Bernier

Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form

On 06/17/2013 07:23 PM, mail@kylepullicino.com wrote:
> I am a Computer Science student reading for a degree at the University of Malta. Since discovering the Collatz conjecture about a year ago, I've been fascinated by it. Since no one has been able to prove it true for quite a while now, I wanted to try something completely new when tackling the problem.
>
> Only last week, did I happen to notice a very interesting pattern in the Collatz problem and thus, I came up with a new way to express odd numbers which I have called the Collatz Normal Form. I use this Normal Form to form relations from any odd number down to 1 (unlike attempts where people start from 1 and fan out).
>
> This is my attempt at proving the Collatz conjecture. I've never done this and I wish to hear all the feedback you can give me even with regards to proof-writing. Also, I skip covering related work and recent attempts at the problem and delve straight into the unique aspects of the proof to keep everything short.
>
> You can find the proof in PDF format here: http://kylepullicino.com/uploads/collatz.pdf
>
> I hope you enjoy reading the proof and thanks!

Dear Kyle,

If you have indeed solved the Collatz problem, then you have
accomplished something that hundreds and hundreds of
people have tried to do, but didn't manage to do ...

The Collatz Conjecture is a notorious and well-known
problem, and lots of work has already been done, for
example Jeffrey Lagarias wrote an article in a maths
periodical (American Mathematical Monthly or other
publication), because of his frustration at
not being able to solve that problem ...

Consequently, I'm a bit skeptical for now, and
ask you how long since you first thought you had
solved the problem?

Regards,

dave

--
On Hypnos,
http://messagenetcommresearch.com/myths/bios/hypnos.html

Date Subject Author
6/17/13
Read A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
mail@kylepullicino.com
6/17/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
Paul
6/17/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
mail@kylepullicino.com
6/17/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
trj
6/17/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
David Bernier
6/17/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
quasi
6/18/13
[...]
6/23/13
Read Re: A Proof of the Collatz conjecture using Collatz Normal Form
Gottfried Helms
6/23/13