Topic: Re: All mathematics (in the universe) is just increase or decrease...
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: All mathematics (in the universe) is just increase or decrease...

Donald Saulter posted Jun 18, 2013 2:33 AM:
> > (Jonathan Crabtree) Did someone REALLY say all math
> > was just additionand multiplication?

> Yes I did. But I'd be quite interested in seeing you
> work your way through the problem on my web page
> using no concepts other than "increase" and
> "decrease".
>
> Thanks.
>
> Donald Sauter
> http://www.donaldsauter.com/all-of-math.htm

Ok. I have read through your problem as solved at your website using just 'addition' and 'multiplication'. You are not wrong.

However, I observe that a similar remark could be made in relation to practically any problem in, say, 'Differential or Integral Calculus' (or 'Calculus of Variations'; or 'Linear Algebra'; or 'Theory of Groups'; or 'Galois Theory'; or Algebraic Topology; or any other topic in 'advanced math') and your suggestion that "all math is just 'additions' and 'multiplication'- http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9130293 . I believe that practically any problem in any of these fields could (over time) be solved using just '+' and 'x'.

Similar remarks could also be made in relation to any math problem and my thought that "all math is just '1', '0' and 'addition'.

(No, I am NOT about to try to use either your '+' and 'x' - or my thought either - on ANY math problem).

The reason being that, in either case, it would just be a pain in watchayoumaycallit to try to go this route. We should realise that math 'evolved' as it did over time, for some pretty sound reasons.

(I observe that Jonathan Crabtree has responded, 'more mathematically' (and very soundly), to your suggestion - see http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2576781.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy