Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Robert Hansen

From: Florida

> I am inspired by a community of teacher/strangers
> working together to improve teaching and assessments.
>
> blog.mrmeyer.com/?p=17230
>
> This is an example why Dan Meyer is one of the most
> influential educators around.
>
> Richard

Well, I suppose I can understand why a few dozen teachers like yourself, mired in failed classrooms might find Dan's teacher-centric community encouraging. It is a place for teachers like yourself who have lost the faith (in teaching) can go and share their angst. And I do give Dan credit for seizing the opportunity to capitalize on your situation. He invented a message just for you Richard. TEACH LESS AND BE LESS HELPFUL. It must be music to your ears. Teaching algebra is hard, especially hard it appears in your situation. Whether it was because you were given a bad army or you are just a bad algebra teacher is irrelevant. The experience sucked. I got that. So yeah, I can see why a few dozen teachers might fall for Dan's scam. By teaching less and helping less you are guaranteed to not to fail. Throw in a monthly algebra book burning to and I suppose its your happy place. The students be damned.

I don't pretend to know how bad it was to teach algebra in your situation and I don't pretend to think I can convince you to go back to teaching. But as far as sites go, I think you will find the following site influential in a very different sense. You see, it isn't a self serving site geared towards teachers that don't want to teach. It is a site geared towards students that want to learn.

http://www.khanacademy.org/stories/

"My name is Ben and I am 11 years-old when I was 9 and 10 I hated math so much that when working on it, I would sometimes skip over things! But when my brother discovered Khan Academy, and encouraged me to try it, I was reluctant but I tried it. Now, I'm a total lover of math and lots of other school subjects, thanks to Khan Academy, and GOD!"

"I went through High School ignoring math as much as I could. When I went to college I was placed into pre-calc and pretty much failed it twice. The problem was that I did not have any basic algebra or even arithmetic skills. I took time off and went to another college. I took the placement exam and got placed into the lowest level of math. I spoke to an engineering counselor about my interest in applying to the engineering program. When I told him what my math level was he pretty much smirked at me and told me that I have a VERY long path ahead of me. After going through math 75 ( which was the lowest) then math 80 twice, since I failed it the first time, then college algebra and now finally pre-calc; I am happy to say that I am doing very well. I have fallen in love with math and can't wait to take calc one next semester as I continue my slow but steady path to an engineering degree. Thank you so so so so much Mr.Khan. Your videos are worth so much more than gold"

"Dear Khan Academy I have always wished that I could rewind my teacher like I am able to do in a video. I love science -but when it comes to math it's just too complicating - my brain totally shuts down and goes to 'sleep mode'. I am in 5th grade. I have a wonderful teacher but the information just comes out too fast. Our school's principle announced the usage of KA and (no offense) I was seriously like "just another try at teaching us students that hate math. But surprisingly even with a bad attitude sal has opened that door which was almost permanently closed Thank you sal I swear I actually pray to you every time I ace my test!
- -Karthik
P.S. the world owes you:
1000000000000000000000000000000000000,000,000 dollars! (i'm serious!)"

I have told you this a dozen times. Dan does not want to teach mathematics. He has even said as much. He want's to build a following. His message of teaching less and being less helpful isn't for students, it's for his audience, teachers like you. It's for his bad army.

Bob Hansen