Topic: platforms for educational software
Replies: 15   Last Post: Jun 26, 2013 6:17 PM

kirby urner

Re: platforms for educational software
att1.html (3.8 K)

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 9:25 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 21, 2013, at 12:11 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tablets are easy to check out for the day. Any given individual might use
> three or four in the course of a week.
> And about 20 gallons of hand sanitizer. Actually, I never use the stuff
> (hand sanitizer) but I probably would start in the scenario you just
> described.:)

Wow, you have a bit of a cooties fixation. Do you use libraries ever, or
are books safer than tablets?

Yeah, they would work for a class teaching HTML5, or to take apart and
> teach about electronics, but surely android tablets are just as cheap, no?

Android apps are in Java whereas FirefoxOS tablets are pure JavaScript +
HTML5 devices -- no Java, no C++, no Objective C.

Android apps may also contain C++ / C per the NDK.

> Something in me thinks that students being taught using industry standards
> are better apt to find employment after school than those not. HTML5 is an
> industry standard so as long as the web engine is up to snuff then they
> would do fine in a class on HTML5.

It's not just the vocational track that wants 'em to use Javascript + HTML5
canvas. You can plot your curves and do like calculator stuff. Learn

> Plus, there is an added benefit that the students wouldn't be likely to
> steal them. You wouldn't even have to paint them yellow or anything.
> Bob Hansen

Yes, they're inexpensive. A summer of code type camp would just give you
one to take home as part of your camp experience.

It would come preprogrammed with the geocache challenges plus other
camp-specific games and apps that help brand the experience.

I expect more and more Eagle Scouts will be doing more of such
programming. Is it any coincidence that Mozilla is so into badges?