Topic: How to remove the "0." from "0. + 1.41774i"
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jun 22, 2013 8:41 PM

Richard Fateman

Re: How to remove the "0." from "0. + 1.41774i"

On 6/22/2013 8:40 AM, Christoph Lhotka wrote:
> Dear mathgroup,
>
> there is indeed a very elegant solution to these kind of problems.
> It took
> me some while (looking up the documentation center) but I think this
> works fine:

Well, there are lots of little problems with this solution, some of
which have to do
with the semantics of N, so that 1/2+2I looks like floats, and
2^5000+2I looks like
1.4124...x10^1505 + 0. I. with a red box around the 0.

but also there is an issue that FullForm[%] is peculiar.

So the idea of changing the display format in $Post processing is a possibility, it rapidly becomes less elegant if you expect it to cover every eventuality, and
probably not possible if you want FullForm to work.

RJF