Topic: Prob that event A occurs before B...
Replies: 9   Last Post: Jun 25, 2013 5:06 AM

Paul

Re: Prob that event A occurs before B...

On Sunday, June 23, 2013 2:46:13 PM UTC+1, JohnF wrote:
> JohnF <john@please.see.sig.for.email.com> wrote:
>

> > You're given that two independent events, A and B, will occur
>
> > at some future times. You don't know when they'll occur, but
>
> > you're given two pdf's for that, a(t),b(t),t>=0, with all
>
> > the usual interpretation. What's the prob A occurs before B?
>

>... And not sure what
>
> pepstein's talking about, ...

But I signed "Paul Epstein". Surely, one of the main points of a signature is that it indicates how others should refer to you.

I started by saying this: "Imagine that the number of times the event can occur is large but finite (N). Solve this case and translate to your continuous case"

Surely, it's excellent advice to translate a continuous problem into a discrete problem and then solve the discrete problem.

You solved the problem a different way to how I suggested but it seems a bit pointless to ask a forum for advice, get the advice, and then reply to the advice by saying that you don't know what others are talking about, without asking for clarification.

Paul Epstein