Topic: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Replies: 29   Last Post: Jul 12, 2013 11:58 PM

Wayne Bishop

Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers

No, but thanks for asking. What I really believe would be most
useful would be an end to education classes and a year or two in a
PAID apprenticeship role working with mathematics teachers who have
been deemed to be especially effective (by math-competent
people). My own student teaching experience was kind of headed that
way. Not paid, of course, but a full semester all day every day
working with 3 different math teachers at the university lab
school. The geometry guy had a PhD in math and a joint appointment
with the department of mathematics at the university where he also
taught upper division/graduate mathematics and was anxiously awaiting
each new release from Bourbaki that I had never heard of until
then. No text books; after observing and discussing for a while, we
began to teach. Each day we were to prepare our own worksheets for
the class (with guidance, of course). One of my algebra teachers had
been the math editor for Scott-Foresman. My experience was unusual
enough that replicating it systemically is beyond the realm of the
possible but my preferred approach (first stated) would be very workable.

Wayne

At 10:04 AM 7/10/2013, Richard Strausz wrote:
>Wayne, do you have any suggestions for books, blogs, videos and any
>other materials that would be helpful for a beginning math teacher?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Richard

Date Subject Author
6/23/13
Read Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Jerry P. Becker
6/24/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
6/25/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
6/27/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/2/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
kirby urner
7/3/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
GS Chandy
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/9/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/12/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Robert Hansen
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Wayne Bishop
7/10/13
Read Re: Invitation to contribute to book for beginning teachers
Richard Strausz
7/11/13
[...]
r!chard tchen
7/12/13