Topic: Fwd: Article In Newsday about Algebra Regents Exam
Replies: 3   Last Post: Jun 24, 2013 1:25 PM

ElizWaite@aol.com

Re: Article In Newsday about Algebra Regents Exam
att1.html (3.4 K)

Interesting perspective.
Of course, getting one wrong and "earning" a 98 wasn't the same 'back in the day' either....remember, there were choices? You didn't actually get 98% of the available points correct - you got 98% of the available points on the questions you chose to answer correct....so....do you actually think students who took Course III back in the day would have had as high of scores as they did if they HAD to answer every single question instead of getting to know ahead of time - I'm going to take the circle and the trig curve b/c I know exactly what they're going to look like?? On Course II you could say I am absolutely NOT going to answer the Euclidean proof b/c why would I when I can answer the logic and coordinate proof problem?? Don't even get me started on Course I....last Course I exam I had a student get a 77 (who got a 17 on the same year's Math A-trust me, he knew nothing). Was that really better?? Easier to teach - absolutely - piece of cake - give me a group of kids and 1/3 of them can get 100 with the rest 85 and up...they must have been smarter then??

If we want all students to take the same exact exit exam for high school - those who are naturally brilliant on the same exam as those who read at (maybe) a 4th grade level - what are the options?
That is the real frustration that I have.
This article feeds into and oversimplifies the situation. We do NOT teach in the same world that we taught in 25 years ago. We do NOT offer the exams to the same set of students and we do NOT (most of us) try to teach in rote, devoid of understanding, fashion.

I have a clear memory of being taught, in Course I, to "transpose" when I moved a term to the opposite side of the equation - nice little box with arrows over the equals sign on the board - poof - just change the sign and all is well! I had absolutely no idea what my friends in the "other class" were doing when they were adding/subtracting terms from both sides of the equation - no seriously, they tried to explain it to me and I had no clue because why would I do that when I can get the right answer my way? -but boy oh boy did I get a 98 on that exam!
Liz

Elizabeth Waite
AMTNYS Coordinator of Reps