Topic: Re: Article In Newsday about Algebra Regents Exam
Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
Sharon

From: NYC
Registered: 6/26/05
Re: Article In Newsday about Algebra Regents Exam
att1.html (2.1 K)

In a message dated 6/24/2013 9:20:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
mariemay@msn.com writes:

> How is there only this one path to be worthy of NYS HS diploma?

As a dinosaur I want to add something to my previous comments. I remember
the days of the academic diploma, commercial diploma, and general diploma.
My best friend was the most horrible math student on the face of the earth.
She switched to a commercial diploma, took her bookkeeping courses, learned
how to type (yikes), and got her commerical diploma. If she hadn't, this
girl would have received a general diploma and not been prepared for much of
anything. She walked out of high school and had a secretarial position
inside of two weeks. That job was hers until the day she married and moved to
Chicago.

Many of the students that are dropping out or finishing high school without
diplomas, are being denied a golden opportunity to walk out of school and
into a paying position simply because the 'training' is all wrong for them.
After all, once they leave school, how many of these students will have to
use probability and factoring in their daily lives? How many of these
students, who barely scrape through a ninth grade math class could graduate with a
marketable skill if the commercial diploma was brought back?

Students need to have options because every student was not created equal.
A large segment of the high school population is being ignored from an
academic standpoint. It makes you want to throw your hands up and just
'conform' to SED's requirements. But I can't stop thinking about the number of
students who pass through my doors every day and may not make it through
eleventh grade. Where will they be? It's too depressing to think about it.

Tzippy