Topic: Problems with Strings!
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jun 25, 2013 8:34 PM

Mary

Re: Problems with Strings!

dpb <none@non.net> wrote in message <kqcte3$jk7$1@speranza.aioe.org>...
> On 6/25/2013 2:16 PM, Mary wrote:

> > I'm having two problems:
>

> > (I'm hoping to allow the user to copy and paste a list of usernames from
> > a word doc/spreadsheet, and paste them when prompted for an input)
> >
> > 2.) generating the spreadsheets for some reason MATLAB refuses to
> > acknowledge my column headers when using xlswrite. I even followed a
> > reccomended tutorial from MATLAB for how to set things up!
> >
> > This is what I have so far!

> > ***PROBLEM 1. HERE***
> > x = strcat(input('Enter usernames for current cohort','s'));
> > userNames = strsplit(x)

> Play around w/ the following and see if any joy ensues...
>
> s=inputdlg('input: ','Input Box',3);
>
> If numlines>1 it appears will return a cell array of inputs from a
> clipboard paste. If I open a Word doc and put, three text lines in it
> and copy them I get
>

> >> s=inputdlg('input: ','Input Box',3)
> s =
> [3x5 char]

> >> s{:}
> ans =
> Name1
> Name2
> Name3

> If numlines==1 then it pastes them all on the one line.
>
> doc inputdlg

> > *** PROBLEM 2 HERE***
> > %Stores Variable Data in a Matrix
> > colHeader = {'Number Full Completion','Number Partial Completion Less
> > than Five','Number Partial Completion Less than Ten','Number Partial
> > Completion More than Ten','Number No Login'};
> > stats(1) = (totalCompleted);
> > stats(2) = (partialUnderFive);
> > stats(3) = (partialUnderTen);
> > stats(4) = (partialOverTen);
> >
> > %% Saves Data into an xls spreadsheet
> > saveName = ['Module_Status_Report' date]
> > xlswrite(saveName,log,1)
> > xlswrite(saveName,stats,2,'A2')
> > xlswrite(saveName,colHeader,2,'A1')
> > end

> I've never used xlswrite() so no help there, really, sorry...
>
> I note the following on the "Data to write" expansion...
>

> > to write, specified as a two-dimensional numeric or character
> > array, or, if each cell contains a single element, a cell array.
> >
> > If A is a cell array containing something other than a scalar numeric
> > or a string, then xlswrite silently leaves the corresponding cell in
> > the spreadsheet empty.

> Don't know if that's related to your problems/troubles/symptoms or not,
> but is suggestive methinks...
>
> --

Thank you so much - I'll give these suggestions a try!

About the xlswrite it just seems crazy to me that it fills in the username information which is a string on sheet 1, but it wont fill strings in on sheet 2.

BTW - I feel like you've answered a billion of my questions on here, and I just wanted to say a sincere thank you. You have really made my journey of understanding MATLAB enjoyable :)